1. Come on then lets get a list of names down for who's got this so we can start partying up and get some private matched going. http://www.vgforums.co.uk/threads/cod-ww2-ps4-role-call.10312/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
New!! Join User Group option added. Head over the this thread to see more information and instructions on how to join - http://www.vgforums.co.uk/community/threads/join-user-group-mod.6449/

Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games' started by Riddler_Tam, Jun 16, 2016.

By Riddler_Tam on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM

1. PlayStation’s E3 Press Conference, Guerrilla Games was excited to share more gameplay from Horizon Zero Dawn. In this demo, we follow Aloy as she journeys beyond the walls of her village to defeat a ‘demon’ which is terrorising locals and breeding fear throughout the valley. Aloy will have to use every ounce of her knowledge, intelligence and agility to survive this encounter.

If you missed the show, don’t worry, we’ve included the segment again below:

• Thanks Thanks x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Role Playing Games' started by Riddler_Tam, Jun 16, 2016.

1. People saying she looks like the girl from game of thrones. Personally think she looks more like Bianca from Enders

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. Horizon Zero Dawn is an action RPG set in a lush post-post-apocalyptic open world in which humanity is no longer the dominant species. Machines, not mankind, rule the Earth.

We’re very excited about HDR, 4KTVs, and PS4 Pro in general, but to be clear, the game we demonstrated at the past two E3s was running on standard PS4 hardware. We’re dedicated to making a game that looks great regardless of the model it’s played on; it will look beautiful on PS4, and will look even better on PS4 Pro, particularly if you own an HDR-compatible 4KTV.

As we showed at the PlayStation 4 Pro reveal event last month in New York City, the extra power of the new hardware allows us to get even closer to our vision for a lush and vibrant living world. The extra detail in the natural environment and the enhanced colors really add to the experience.

We’ve used the PS4 Pro’s enhanced hardware to do some exciting things for Horizon Zero Dawn’s art style. For us, Horizon Zero Dawn is all about scope, scale and visual splendor. Though the game is technically post-apocalyptic (or perhaps more accurately, post-post apocalyptic) we wanted to create a vision of nature reclaiming the Earth. PS4 Pro’s power afforded us a number of interesting possibilities to expand this vision even further.

For starters, for players who still possess standard 1080p HDTVs, we’re able to offer far better image quality. We’ve got a number of techniques at our disposal. The most logical one is supersampling. This is a very high-quality anti-aliasing technique, which basically means we internally render at a higher resolution (close to 4K) before shrinking it down to the final 1080p resolution.

As our internal calculations are done at a resolution much higher than 1080p, more detail survives before we shrink it down to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges – virtually no jaggies – and a more stable image.

We’re also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.

In addition, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro will fully support users with 4KTVs, outputting at a much higher resolution. We’re rendering 2160p checkerboard, which is a special technique that looks incredibly good on a 4K TV. You’re going to notice a ton of subtle details, from stitching on Aloy’s outfit, individual leafs and branches swaying in the wind, kilometers away in the distance and more detail in all machines and NPCs in the world.

Then there’s HDR, or high dynamic range, which is a brand-new feature that enhances the range of colours we can display. It’s very exciting and hard to explain, as it’s something which most people haven’t ever seen before, so they don’t know what to expect. You can’t print it, it’s not in cinemas, your phone’s screen can’t do it. The only thing that you can compare HDR with is reality.

We normally have to do a lot of work in the engine to take an internal high dynamic range image and then make it suitable to be displayed on a normal TV. A lot of colour fidelity gets lost in the process. If you own an HDR-enabled TV, we don’t have to lose that data and you’re looking at the image in its full glory, with brighter and deeper colours, more contrast and vibrancy, in its pristine state. The benefits are truly awesome.

For me as a developer, the most exciting thing about the PS4 Pro is that it provides a lot of extra processing power. It will be interesting to come up with different ways to put that additional horsepower to use – from finding more efficient ways to output at high resolution, to giving non-4K players more display options, and much more.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    4. Where's the love, this looks brilliant. Will pick up tmrw.

5. Yup mine coming tomorrow. Can't wait

6. not sure if I should buy this or yakuza 0, this has great reviews but it seems nothing to new, got a huge backload of open world shooter type games as it is.

Y0 is something different

7. Not if you've played the previous five Yakuza games. :D
      One thing is for sure, with Y0/Nier/H:ZD/Noih/Persona 5/ME:A in the first few months of the year there certainly a widely different range of games out there.

Whatever you buy it is probably difficult to go too far wrong.

My advice is to buy the Bulletstorm remaster :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    8. Well, I can't wait to download this later today. Even though I know that once Friday arrives and Zelda plops into my lap, I'll drop this faster than a cheating girlfriend.

• Funny Funny x 2
    9. reviews are good, been a while since I played a yakuza game though and nothing like it in my current gaming list..slower paced narrative

10. This isn't a Yakuza thread fucktard.

HZD is pretty good and very pretty.

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
    11. Well this is certainly a looker isn't it? I have purposely avoided as much media as possible to avoid any spoilers. The only thing I think I have seen of note before launch, are those tall giraffe type creatures that have the Star Trek Next Generation Enterprise saucer section for a head :)

It feels like Guerilla have watched every single Uncharted cutscene a dozen times over, as the opening scenes in this feel much better than anything in Killzone. Much better writing and direction...imo.

Not got too far into the story yet, as there are a fair few little side quests you can do right at the start. Although I think they might get a little bit samey unless they really mix them up. But they are a nice way of getting used to the combat and stealthily moving around the enemies. Plus getting used to the crafting etc - which is slightly clumsy if I'm honest. Mainly because you have to dig into a couple of menus to open up the crafting options. I'm surprised there isn't a quick link button straight to it. It isn't a big deal, but a shortcut button would have been nice.

Not noticed any performance issues yet and I'm playing it on a regular PS4 at the moment. I haven't installed it in the living room onto my PS4 pro yet. Should look even more amazing though when I do.

Can't wait to get back and play some more though :)

• Like Like x 2
    12. Agreed bud, the combat is actually very good, need to plan your attacks, where to lay the trip wires etc. 100% agree the need to dig into too many menus/sub menus is a fucking chore.

13. cheers let us know how much a difference you 'feel' when playing on 4k tv? on ps pro.

Just wonder if its worth the money, graphics look so good these days as it is not sure I need/want to invest in new tv and ps4 if I wont 'notice' the improved gfx so much once I'm 'engaged' in playing the game if you get me...

14. I'll let you know once I have tried it. But I'm like you really - once I'm absorbed in a game I don't notice things like resolution. I usually play multi format games on the xbox one and haven't ever thought about lower resolutions. I bought the 4k TV more for movies to be honest.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    15. I've been underestimating the combat totally and died about 8 times on the first proper mission. Time to get good

16. Well, in 4k mode if you look for it, there is indeed some real differences to texture quality and detail on distant objects. But for me personally, I don't think it is a "rush out and buy a 4k tv" difference. In fact I still play most of my games on the plasma TV I have in the bedroom, as I just prefer how plasma handles motion with games. And as I said, like you I soon get so absorbed in a game that I forget about resolution.

As an example, I am playing Assassins Creed: Rogue for the first time on Xbox One, and I completely forget that it is a last gen game once I'm hooked into the story and gameplay. Maybe I'm not the best person to advise on buying a 4k TV as my old eyes are content with what they see in 1080p :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    17. yeh I agree with that it was different before HD gaming, that was a huge step up but now its not so important imo, more bothered about the games..theres no shoddy blocky games no more

only 34.99 here

http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat...aMgNbxwmLvUBreKMwcAiwRoC2JPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

its no scam right? well Selfridges decent so I just bought see what happens, real cheap though

5 pound delivery though so ill pass

#18 Lordofgames, Mar 3, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
    18. I have Amazon credits and have heard great things.

I am however not a fan of RPG's (Fallout / Final Fantasy as examples) but have enjoyed Far Cry 4. (Which has elements of RPG I guess.

Can someone tell me if this is worth getting or for someone like me that doesn't get to play much, can I wait for the price drop?

19. It's not an RPG anymore than Far Cry is. It's similar in many ways to FC Primal (I loved FC Primal and finding this a bit dull so far)

The closest it gets to an RPG is the dialogue wheel. However it only gives you story based info, not like it gives you actual choices that affect the game at all like an RPG

IMHO unless you are desperate then wait for the drop

• Thanks Thanks x 1