1. Come on then lets get a list of names down for who's got this so we can start partying up and get some private matched going. http://www.vgforums.co.uk/threads/cod-ww2-ps4-role-call.10312/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
New!! Join User Group option added. Head over the this thread to see more information and instructions on how to join - http://www.vgforums.co.uk/community/threads/join-user-group-mod.6449/

In the dark, but I really need some advice.

Discussion in 'General Game / Hardware Discussion' started by Cuberider, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Evening everyone, please don't say, "oh no, not another noob when can't be bothered to read through the posts", I really am in a completely different world here.
    2 years ago, I had a seizure, I was only 55, but it left me with several issues, including memory loss, both aterograde and retrograde, for some reason, my brain went into safety mode and shut down like a computer crashing. When I regained conciousness a month later, I thought it was 1984 (still do on some days) and that I was 34. My neurolgist, reckoned I'd been under so much pressure and stress, my brain coudn't take it and reset to a time in my life when I was at my happiest, it was a very scary time in my life and it's taken me a long time to come to terms with it and get myself into some form of normality. I couldn't drive for a year, my finances were in a mess, (caused by my ex cleaning out the bank accounts).
    Back to the present day, my mobility is getting there, I suffer from fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic headaches and the afore mentioned memory loss and my co-ordination isn't back to 50% yet, based on this, my neurologist, suggested getting a game console to plug into the telly and use it to regain (hopefully), some hand/eye co-ordination. Many years ago, I had an Amiga 500 and Atari 520, but, that was a long time ago and I do know that gaming has moved on so fast, my head is spinning.
    So, here I am, as complete novice looking for advice, I don't really want to spend too much on a first console, with a budget of £200ish, would I be better off buying new or going for a better used unit? as I mentioned, I'm in the dark and have no idea what the best platform would be, speaking of "platforms", I'm not a shoot em up game or driving type of game guy, I prefered platform games like New Zealand Story, James Pond etc. I know these are games most will never have heard of, but that's just me.

Many thanks.

Alan.

2. Welcome to the forum, how did you hear about us?

Average age is a bit old here to call anyone a noob being honest, we dont roll that way.

Its a tough one. Theres no perfect answer here. It really does depend on your style and what you are into. However if you have been put of the game for a while then to jump headfirst may not be the right answer.

Firstly I would say PS4 and XBOX are out. Theres not a huge amount of arcade platform type games about. Xbox has advantage of a large back compatible list but even then still not a huge amount of those types of games.

So really that leaves 2 choices. Retro consoles (eg SNES/NES mini, or something that plays retro console emulators) or Nintendo.

Now the minis are ok at what they do but limited to 30 games (though I believe you can tinker and add some more). Theres also the emulators which arent something I know a lot about being honest, you'd need to research those or join an emulator based forum. Personally I lived those days once and never again, onward and upward.

So for me its Nintendo. The Switch is the latest incarnation and it has some platformers already, plus it has classics on it as well. To save money you could perhaps pick up a Wii U cheap. Word of warning though, Ninty games dont come cheap. @MilkyMalky would be best placed to advise as our resident Ninty expert.

Now my advice here would be to find out if you can borrow any of the consoles from family/friends if possible and try to experience a few different types of games. You may find that the genres have changed somewhat over the years (modern shooters for example are a different beast) or may find new genres you like. The days of old platformers has mostly gone to be honest, bar the odd arcase/indie title.

Best of luck

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Welcome to the forum, I had an amiga and atari when I was younger, the catalogue for both was great.

I'd go with odb and say that nintendo is your console choice but it isn't cheap, there is a lot of 2d platform games available, if you bought a wii u, then that would give you two console options in one.

Another idea could be a 3ds which has a large back catalogue and may suit your genre needs a bit more at a reasonable price.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thank you for the suggestions peeps, but I don't want a hand held device, my kids had DS's, a Wii and an Xbox360, none were hardly ever used, thinking about it, as I'm on my own now, I could rescue the 360 and use it myself.

5. Would make sense if you have it around still. Obviously initial outlay query becomes void. Theres also a hell of a back catalogue to go through

Heres a list of the best platformers:
    https://www.videogamer.com/top-games/xbox360-platform-games-all-time

The good thing here is if you get into it then yiu can choose to upgrade to an XB1. XB1 has a large list of backward compatible titles, so you can play current generation and last (360) generation on 1 console. MIcrosoft have also started a game pass subscription on the XB1 allowing you to access a list of games, much like Netflix, and this also includes all exclusives on the console from their launch date. Potentially this would be a good avenue to go down if you wanted to try other genres with a months trial subscription. EA Access is also available on XB1 and thats a similar service, but only includes games made by EA.

My personal favourite is the Gears of War series, exclusive to xbox. Would thoroughly recommend trying that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I thank you for your input, I remembered my daughter had been given a 360 a couple of years ago for christmas, but she stopped using it because of online bullying from her former friends, so I went to see her today, and she gave it to me. I'll have to get a controller as she stood on the original, but it's all there. I'll be heading to CEX tomorrow to get one and see what games are available. It'll get me going for the time being.

Thank you all for the help.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shout if you want game recommendations. Xbox is my territory

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Thank you ODB, I'll be in touch.