World Video Game Hall Of Fame

T_Riddler_

Administrator
Forum Owner

Started in 2015 it is located in the national museum of play's egamerevolution exhibit and they are added to the list based on the following criteria:

Video games become eligible for the World Video Game Hall of Fame by meeting four basic criteria:

Icon Status - is widely recognized and remembered

Longevity - is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time

Geographical Reach - meets the above criteria across international boundaries

Influence - has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general.

2015 inductees are:

Doom 1993
pac-man 1980
super mario bros. 1985
tetris 1984
world of warcraft 2004

Finalists who didn't make the list

Angry Birds 2009
Fifa International Soccer 1993
The legend of zelda 1986
Minecraft 2011
The oregon Trail 1971
Pokemon Red and blue 1996
The Sims 2000
Sonic The hedgehog 1991
Space Invaders 1978

2016 inductees are:

The legend of zelda 1986
The oregon trail 1971
the sims 2000
Sonic the hedgehog 1991
Space invaders 1978
Grand theft auto III 2001

Finalists who didn't make the list

Minecraft 2011
Pokemon Red and blue 1996
Elite 1984
Final Fantasy 1987
John Madden Football 1988
Nurburgring 1975
Sid Meier's Civilization 1991
Street figther II: The World Warrior 1991
Tomb Raider 1996

ODB

Global Moderator
How can Minecraft not make the list? It's got to be the biggest game of all time surely??

T_Riddler_

Administrator
Forum Owner
How can Minecraft not make the list? It's got to be the biggest game of all time surely??

I was thinking the same made the shortlist twice.

Angry birds is an odd choice, for a start it's a mobile game not a full video game so surprised it's on there.

Nintendo leading the pack with 3 they will probably add to their numbers, they have the strongest video game history.

ODB

Global Moderator
I was thinking the same made the shortlist twice.

Angry birds is an odd choice, for a start it's a mobile game not a full video game so surprised it's on there.

Nintendo leading the pack with 3 they will probably add to their numbers, they have the strongest video game history.

I agree with angry birds in the sense it was the first truly big mobile game and made mobile games take off a lot

Minecraft though because of all the things that can be done and the educational use

Bartell

Global Moderator
Angry birds was released on console too - X360 for sure (kids had it haha) I'm not justifying the inclusion of it mind just thought I'd share the fact.

It's crazy minecraft isn't in. Global sales plus the amount of YT videos that are done it surely would of pushed it in